Sunday 13 October 2013

Short trips rule, ok

So I'm off to India on Thursday, yay! I'm very excited and now that the packing, printing off reservation confirmations, getting waxed to within an inch of my life and all that has started, it feels much more real.

I'm going for 10 days. We're packing in Delhi, Agra and 2 locations in Goa and it's going to be awesome, I'm sure. Buuuut... man, is it annoying when people ask how long I'm going for and then go, "oh, is that all?" when I say ten days. I'm not stupid, I know ten days isn't a long time, and it would be fab if I could go for longer. However, I have a full time job, and a boyfriend, and rent to pay. So it's ten days or no days, and I know which one I'd prefer!

Short trips are great. Because you know you're only going to be away for a limited time, you make the most of everything and pack in as much as you can. Yeah it's tiring, but it's fun! I did a 3 month trip to Australia at 18, and because those 3 months stretched ahead of me and felt like ages, I spent quite a few days bumming around, not really getting as much out of the trip as I could have. Don't get me wrong, I loved that trip, but had it been a shorter stay I think the feeling of urgency would have meant I'd have made sure I did all of the things I wanted to. There's no, "I can do that another time" when you've got a flight to catch in a week!

If people have longer to spare for their trips then good for them. I love travel and if I could afford the time and money then I would do more. This way works for me right now though, and I don't like people passing judgement on me for it. Staying away long term doesn't make you a better traveller, it just makes you a different one. Difference makes the world go round.

So, I can't wait for my ten day tour of India! Every single day is going to be fantastic, and I am determined to make the most of it and bring back lots of great stories and photos to share. Whistle-stop rules!

My short trip to Rome in July was fab. Throw a penny in the Trevi Fountain and it means you''ll return. So a short stay was fine this first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment