Sunday 5 January 2014

Save a Life in the New Year!

So I've been meaning to write this post for a while and a letter I received today reminded me, so here it is!

It's actually good timing - a new year, people making resolutions to do new things, be better, help out and so on... here's a very easy way to do all of that - give blood!

I've been giving blood for just over 4 years now, after being encouraged to do so by my friend Reg, who is a super donor and well on his way to 100 donations. It was one of those things I always thought I should do, but never got around to. Reg made sure I had no excuses, and came along with me that first time. Now I'm addicted - I give as regularly as I can (not as regularly as I'd like, as travelling to certain places means serving donor bans for safety) and have now made 11 donations so far.

I wanted to write a post about my experiences of blood donation to hopefully inspire people who are thinking about becoming a donor to take the plunge and go for it!

Blood sessions are held very regularly, and at lots of venues. I'm confident there's one near you which you can make an appointment for. You show up, fill in a questionnaire and take a drink of water or squash (being well hydrated makes the donation faster and easier). Then you're called to see a nurse who will go over the questionnaire with you, and check any answers which need elaborating on. It's nothing too intrusive - travel and medication questions and yes there are a couple about your sex life, but simple yes/no answers and no judgement.

If your questionnaire answers show that you're eligible to donate the nurse will take a pin prick sample of blood to test your iron levels. I just look away at this point, and it's easy and fast! If your iron levels are ok it's onto the next stage, when a donation bed is available.

When you're sat on the bed (which is actually now a swanky chair which tilts back to a lying down position!) the nurse will clean your arm and check your personal details, and then it's time to be hooked up. This is another point I don't look, and I know it's one of the main reasons a lot of people don't donate. What I'd like to say that is I don't like needles, I don't like pain and I'm a bit of a baby about both. But, the nurses are always lovely and very professional - I wiggle my toes and hum to the radio and it's all over and ready in a few seconds. If I can do it, so can anyone!

Once the needle is in it's time to relax and let your vein do it's thing. To speed up the process I clench and unclench my fist while listening to the radio, but I see people reading books, playing games, listening to their own music, chatting to a supporting friend, whatever floats your boat! It's about ten minutes until the donation bag is full and when the machine beeps to signal that it's ready, a nurse will come over to take the needle out (look away now!) and pop on your plaster. They'll sit you up nice and slowly in that swanky chair, and when you're ready it's over to the refreshment table!

I always go for a cup of tea and some custard cream biccies, but the choice is yours - tea, coffee, squash, crisps, all sorts of biscuits, chocolate... the refreshment table is a reward well worth the donation! They also have stickers (I love a "be nice to me, I gave blood" one on my jumper!) and you can grab a key ring with your blood type on too.

All in, I usually take an hour out for the donation process and always feel great afterwards. Plus, as you make more donations you work towards awards (I recently got my bronze!) which is a nice treat and makes you feel like you're in a little club. Plus, you can't beat the feel good buzz of knowing your donation could save a life.

I hope I've inspired someone reading this to give blood. It's a great thing to do if you're able, and I really recommend getting involved. You can find out more and sign up to a donor session here: www.blood.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment