Saturday 8 March 2014

I am lucky, many are not. My thoughts on International Women's Day

It's International Women's Day today, and I've seen various reactions to that on social media, one of them being "why is this still relevant?" As a woman (and feminist - say it loud and proud!) who lives in the UK, I appreciate that many of our battles have been won, and that I am very lucky. However, this is International Women's Day, and many women all over the world (some closer to home than you would expect) are not so lucky, and it's their rights that we still need to join together and fight for.

I'm not going to talk in statistics, but for example...

The right to choose if I continue with an unplanned pregnancy (or not)
If I fall pregnant unexpectedly, I can choose to have an abortion. I can make that choice with the support of counsellors and medical professionals and have the procedure in a safe, clean environment. There are many women around the world (and as close to home as Ireland) who do not have that option. Women seeking illegal and dangerous abortions, or flying far from home to have the procedure secretly, alone. Women having unwanted babies, and babies being born to women who resent and neglect them. I am lucky, many are not.

The right to vote (or not)
We all know of the Suffragettes and their fight to give women the vote. Those brave and trail blazing women are the reason I can walk into a room and put a cross in a box, why I can have my voice heard when my country elects it's government. Many women in countries around the world still don't have that right. I am lucky, many are not.

The right to drive (or not)
I have a driving licence, and I own a car. I can get in that car by myself, and drive without fear of being arrested. In Saudi Arabia (and maybe other countries, I don't know) it's illegal to do this. I am lucky, many are not.

The right to NOT have my genitals mutilated
My genitals are intact, I am not scarred. I can urinate and menstruate without pain, I can have (and enjoy) pain-free sex when I am ready to. There is no (or not) on this point, just a great big NOT. Female Genital Mutilation is happening, it is happening to British girls, and girls around the world. We should not turn a blind eye, or pretend it isn't happening because it is, and it's abuse. I won't rant any further, but please read up on this one, and join the fight. Daughters of Eve is a good place to start. I am lucky, many are not.

The right to choose who I marry (or not)
If I want to get married, I can. I can marry a man or woman, someone of any religion or race. If I don't want to get married, I don;t have to. I can stay single forever, or live happily with my partner in unmarried bliss, and no one will judge me or ostracise me. If I get married and change my mind, I can get a divorce and move on. There are many, many people all over the world who do not have these rights (and I acknowledge that not all of these people are women, but the point remains valid). Child brides, women forced to marry their rapist to preserve their "honour," forced marriage, gay couples unable to celebrate (or in some countries even publicly show) their relationships - the list is long, and sad. I am lucky, many are not.


I'm sure there are more points, and if I sat and researched I'm positive there would be many more things I could include in this post, but this is just my stream of thoughts put onto a page. The joy of blogging!

So, there you have it. Why I will be celebrating International Women's Day today, and supporting women's rights as an out and proud feminist throughout the year. Go, girls!

Three amazing women - my mom Chris (in blue) and her friends, my "aunties" Kate (in white) and Mary (pink) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment