Wednesday 23 May 2012

200 Word Travel Reviews

A while back at work, we were tasked with writing travel reviews of 200 words or less. Not as easy as it sounds! Anyhoooo, I thought I'd share my efforts here, so here goes...

Suomenlinna Sea Fortress, Helsinki, Finland
Suomenlinna is a small island off Helsinki, and during the 18th century work began to turn it into a Sea Fortress. Today the island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and attracts visitors from around the world, as well as being a popular destination for Helsinki residents looking for a fun day out.

The island is easily reached by a short ferry ride from Helsinki harbour. It is small enough to walk around and home to several interesting museums, a church, visitor centre, a working dry dock and numerous cafes, restaurants and a brewery. The beaches are popular during the Summer (I enjoyed a paddle in the sea!) and you can stay overnight in the island’s Youth Hostel. Weddings are also held in the church so if you’re lucky like I was, you’ll be able to throw some confetti with celebrating Finns!

I’d definitely recommend visiting Suomenlinna if you’re in Helsinki – the relaxed atmosphere is a nice contrast to the bustling city. There’s plenty to interest and amuse visitors of all ages and my family and I had a highly enjoyable day exploring the island and learning about it’s history.

Pretty isn't it?


Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb, Australia
The Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb was one of the highlights of my trip to Australia. Breathalysed, thoroughly briefed and fully kitted out in a climb suit and harness our group started the ascent with guide Bruce – a typical Aussie guy full of facts and friendly banter. The views of Sydney are stunning, and the sense of achievement (and souvenir photo) when you reach the summit makes the effort worthwhile. Walking across girders high in the air above a busy road was a little nerve wracking, and as someone with a fear of heights I did feel uneasy as we got higher and higher, but Bruce and the rest of my group were encouraging and we all supported each other and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I’d highly recommend that anyone who’s physically able to climbs the bridge, it’s somewhat of a “must do” when in Sydney and I loved it.

Hope you enjoyed :) I might have a bash at some more 200 word or less travel reviews over the next few weeks :) It seems a nice, concise way to summarise a place! Being honest though, it’s more likely that I'll just write some more of my usual rambling blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment