Tuesday 3 July 2012

South Africa: Storms River, Tsitsikamma and Bloukrans: Hippy Paradise and Adventure Hell!


As part of my whistle-stop tour of South Africa, I spent 2 nights in Storms River. It’s a tiny town, but popular with backpackers as it’s a hub of adventure activities and close to the beautiful Tsitsikamma National Park. Now, I’m no adventure junkie... I’m unfit, and I wear thick glasses which I don’t like to risk losing in a river, or off a cliff. My idea of fun is exploring new places at my own pace and NOT wearing a harness of any sort. However, the other girls (there were 5 of us in total) were keen on some adrenalin activities and I liked the idea or seeing the national park and going for some leisurely strolls in the beautiful scenery.



We arrived at Dijembe Backpackers around lunchtime and were immediately excited by what we found. The hostel has a rustic, homely set up with hammocks, a campfire, an outdoor kitchen area and horses grazing in the garden. There’s also a hot tub on the roof, although as it rained pretty much the entire time we were there we couldn’t take advantage! We dumped our bags and grabbed a drink from the bar... it was at this point, enjoying a cold drink and swinging on a hammock with friends that the little voice in my ear which says “you’re travelling – you should try everything...” persuaded me it was a good idea to sign up for zip wiring that afternoon.


Before I could think better of it we were back in the car and on the way to the Tsitsikamma Falls Adventure centre, and I was signing a disclaimer form which told me I might die or get seriously maimed. “Don’t worry, they always say that... just don’t read it,” my friend Jenny “reassuringly” told me as I nervously stepped into my harness and asked the guide to ensure it was on nice and tightly. The zip wire track we would be tackling took us through trees and mountains, over the river and waterfalls. It was a really beautiful setting, although when I was whizzing from side to side clinging on for dear life I didn’t get much chance to admire it! I did actually really enjoy the experience though, and was glad I’d stepped out of my comfort zone to give it a try. Zip Wiring? Check!

Wheeeee!


Next up we decided to drive over to the National Park, and check out the Storms River suspension bridge, which we’d heard was also a must see and offered very beautiful views. By this point the rain had stopped so it was the ideal opportunity to admire the park before the inevitable rain set in once again. We decided on the 1km trek to the bridge, and set off – strolling past the South African mammals klip dassie, which looked to me like giant guinea pigs and scurried off every time we got close or tried to take a picture of them. The park is indeed very beautiful, and when we made it to the bridge we were able to see far out into the ocean from the lookout point, and pose for numerous photos (I like a good photo!) before taking a leisurely stroll back to the car and back to the hostel. For the more adventurous (and fitter!) out there, there are longer trekking paths around the park - you’re provided with a map at the entrance and the paths are very easy to follow. There are also braii (barbeque) areas and picnic benches and it’s a lovely spot to spend a day if you have more time than we did.


At the bridge

Dinner at Dijembe was a home cooked stew and homemade bread. We’d pre-ordered our share earlier and paid a very reasonable price for huge helpings (including seconds) of the delicious meal which we ate round the campfire, laughing and drinking with the other travellers staying at the hostel. It’s a great hostel, with a really chilled out, hippy style vibe and I really reccomend it if you’re heading to Storms River. Breakfast is included, as well as tea and coffee making facilities, and there’s internet and a pool table as well as the staff being happy to help you organise activities – horse riding and tubing are popular, as well as the zip wiring I tried!

Honor, Jenny and Nichola at Dijembe


We left Dijembe after 2 nights, and we were back in our rental car and off to the (in)famous Bloukrans Bridge, which has the world’s highest bungee. Only Nichola wanted to jump, but I decided to sign up as her “bungee buddy” and go on the bridge with her for moral support... conquering my fear of heights at the same time. That was also a spur of the moment decision, and I was seriously regretting it when I saw the metal mesh floor of the walkway to the main bridge – with a clear view hundreds of feet down. I clung to the rail as I gingerly stepped onto the walkway, and one step at a time, eyes dead ahead, singing “This Little Light Of Mine” (my happy song!) and with encouraging words from Nichola, I made it to the jump point (thankfully, a solid concrete floor) without crying, throwing up, or sinking to the floor and refusing to move. If you’re an adrenalin junkie reading this, you won’t appreciate what a big deal that was for me, but it was a huge “fear conquering” moment and I was very proud of myself!


Nichola photographed the see-through floor - argh!!


My milestone passed, it was time to concentrate on my friend, and as the lightest jumper Nichola had to go first. She was harnessed up, and as she approached the edge of the bridge, 4 of her fellow jumpers spontaneously burst into song – Hakuna Matata from The Lion King was a great choice and before I could blink, Nic had dived off the bridge to whoops and cheers from everyone. Knowing what a huge achievement it was for her (and after the stress of my own challenge!) I couldn’t help but burst into tears! I got big hugs from the singing jumpers (I love how experiences like that instantly bring people together) and had composed myself enough by the time Nic had been winched back up to give her a high five and congratulatory hug, before we could relax and encourage the rest of the jumpers.


There she goes!!


Jumps over, we navigated back across the walkway (not as terrifying the second time, but still not fun for me!) and headed to the bar to meet the rest of our group and get ourselves a celebratory Brutal Fruits, our newfound drink of choice in South Africa. Then it was onto the next stage of our South African adventures, and we headed onwards to Knysna...

2 comments:

  1. The best 'bungee buddy' a girl could ask for! Cheers mate!
    Loving the blog. Can't wait for the next snippit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. Not appreciating Craig being referred to as a 'rental car' though! X

    ReplyDelete