Wednesday 27 June 2012

Pack up your troubles... and some other things you might need when travelling

I'm moving house (again!!) on Saturday, and I'm supposed to be packing. I really don't want to though *stamps foot in girly hissy fit* so I though why not write about packing instead?!

I go away a lot - for a few nights, a week, longer. So, although I doubt I will ever enjoy packing, I've got pretty good at it. So, here's my essential kit list for a trip who knows where...

Camera, and Travel Diary
Well - obviously. Record everything you see and do, and the memories will make you smile for a lifetime.

Torch
A torch will come in handy in a number of ways. Lighting dark beaches and paths, midnight toilet runs, rummaging in your backpack for that last clean pair of underpants. Solar powered or wind up torches are my favorite as no pesky batteries, and several friends swear by a head torch, although I'm not sure they're that great a look for day to day use...

Sarong
Not just beachwear, oh no. Very useful as a makeshift towel, a scarf, a bedsheet, and to cover your hair when visiting religious sites. I got mine in Colombia, it's a fetching bright green colour and I love it!

Bottle Opener
The person with the bottle opener is everyone's new best friend at a party. Put one on your belt, your bag or your keyring and it's a great way of starting conversations with people if you're shy - they ask for the opener, you lend it, and get chatting :) A friend of mine has flip flops with a bottle opener in the sole - genius.

Condoms
Sensible Rachey time. Even if you're not planning on having sex, you might just do it anyway. And if you don't, someone you're with might. Contraceptives aren't always as readily available in some countries as they are at home, and having a trusted brand that's in date is always a winner. Sex: good. STDs and unplanned pregnancies: bad.

Playing Cards
Good ice breaker if you're wanting to interact with fellow travellers, or a good time killer if you're solo - solitaire anyone?! Uno cards are good too - and a good way to learn numbers and colours in the local lingo if you're so inclined... make a rule that if you use the English word you must drink!

Uno card tower in Berlin. Skillz.

Last but not least...

Positivity
Hippy Rachey time now. The right attitude goes a long way... smile instead of frown, laugh instead of cry, and don't moan. You're travelling - life is good! Remember that.


1 comment: