Monday 18 June 2012

Turn That (Travel) Frown Upside Down!


Honesty time: I'd be lying if I said that every single minute of my travels were fun-filed with adventures, laughs and fantastic experiences. Don’t get me wrong – I've certainly had amazing trips and treasure fantastic memories of my time away, but there were times where I would ask yourself “what am I doing?!” and wished I were at home in my own familiar surroundings.
I’m not trying to put anyone off or depress you here, not at all! Actually, those down moments are all part and parcel of travelling – and made me appreciate the amazing highs all the more. The point I’m trying to make is that you need to be prepared to feel a little bit rubbish occasionally, and know how to Turn That Frown Upside Down!
With that in mind, I’ve put together a tongue in cheek guide to the upsetting things that could happen to you while you’re away, and how to put a positive spin on them!

Oh No! I’ve Wandered off and got Myself Lost! 
Don’t panic! Although you need to be careful not to go wandering in dangerous areas or alone at night, getting off the path well-trodden can actually be a fantastic way to uncover some little known treasures. Perhaps you’ll stumble upon an amazing new bar, interesting museum or beautiful park; or you could meet a new BFF! As long as you’ve got your accommodation address written down in your day bag you’ll always be able to flag a taxi and head home, and who knows what adventures you could have on the way!
Oh No! I’ve lost my Bag! 
Well yes, that’s annoying and upsetting. Never fear however, someone at your hostel reception/the police station will be able to advise you how to report the loss of any important cards and documents and get them replaced. Your travel insurance should cover you for any valuable items (please tell me you've got insurance?!), and hey… what a prefect excuse to buy a brand new, beautiful bag from the country you’re travelling in!
Oh No! It’s Raining! 
Never mind. Rain when you’re overseas isn’t like the rain you’re used to at home – it’s crazy, downpour rain that stops as quickly as it starts. Embrace the chance to cool down in a hot country and experience the weather in a new place. Take shelter with a good book, run into the nearest bar or cafĂ© or just relax and let the elements do their worst…. Singing In The Rain, anyone?!
Me and my friend Nichola embracing the weather in Andorra, March 2011

Oh No! I’m Poorly! 
Yep, that’s rubbish. However, you can turn your frown upside down by treating yourself to some pampering to help you recover! Book a local massage, treat yourself to a delicious cake from that bakery you’ve been admiring or enjoy a guilt-free day in bed. Most of all, bask in the sympathy you’ll receive from your fellow travellers and enjoy being looked after!
(Shamelss plug: You might also like to read my post The Key To Sick-cess about getting poorly on your travels for more Rachel-advice :)
Oh No! I’m Homesick! 
This happens to absolutely everyone at some point. Being away from everything and everyone familiar can be daunting, and it’s totally natural to miss people and places. Get yourself on Skype and have a good long chat with people back home, look through some photos online or write a nice long email telling everyone all about the fantastic things you’ve been doing. It’ll make you feel closer to them, and it’ll also remind you what an amazing time you’re having! Another good tip is to surround yourself with lots of fun, new people – making new friends will give you a sense of belonging and make you miss home less.
Oh No! My Flight’s Been Delayed! 
Boo! Flight delays can be boring and inconvenient but there’s nothing you can do to change the situation so make the most of the time to reflect on your adventures! Write in your travel journal, organise your photos and email home. If the delay’s a long one, you may even be put up in a fancy airport hotel by your airline – luxury!

Of course, this is a somewhat humorous look at travel mishaps, and I don’t want to trivialise things. The point I’m trying to make is that a positive attitude goes a long way towards smoothing over anything unfortunate that might happen on your travels. PMA people, PMA!*

*PMA means Positive Mental Attitude. It was the motto of Linford Christie: Olympic gold medalist and my childhood hero :)

No comments:

Post a Comment